Monday, November 19, 2012

Taking the Plunge


It was on this Saturday afternoon that I saw my fear right into it’s eyes. I had read and heard umpteen times about the phrase “Darr ke aage jeet hai” (Beyond fear lies victory). On this day, at Malvan, I experienced it..!

All thanks to my colleague Suprajit. An adventure geek himself, he was the one who pushed me into this unusual sport called snorkeling. When he first mentioned it, I read about it on internet and was beginning to feel the nerve. I was feeling anxious, sceptic, unsure and fearful. But with all that, there was another thing lurking in my mind- a desire to just go ahead and do it! Taking the plunge…

When I was all set wearing the diving mask and the snorkel in the mouth, I could hear my heart pounding behind the torso. I finally climbed down through a lifebuoy, my feet not on the ground- I was into the sea surrounded by water– floating.

The guide told me to grip the mouth-piece with my lips, breath through the mouth and put the head inside the water. I just said to myself- “Now no looking back”, and pushed my face right into the waters of the Arabian sea. It was all blueish green. I could see the rays of the sunlight going deep down within. I gasped for air. I couldn’t breath. I pulled my head outside. I had a little glimpse into this blue-green world, and it was scary!

I held the snorkel clung against my mouth, and made yet another attempt. I gasped again. I just couldn’t breath under water. I again pulled my head out of the water. This time I was almost choking for breath. I thought I couldn’t do it. I was tempted to tell the guide, I am going back to the boat, even if you don’t refund my money back.

“Breathe with your mouth…” I could hear the guide say. His words compelled me to stop thinking about the money refund. I realized- I was doing it wrong. I was trying to breathe through nose, and was not blowing through the snorkel. I thought of giving it a third chance.

This time, I put my head inside the water and immediately started blowing through the snorkel. Yes… air was flowing to and fro. I didn’t gasp. I was under water now, for 5… 10… 15 seconds. Yes, I had got hang of it. With a nod, I signalled the guide that I am ready to go.

The blue-green world then slowly began to unfold. I could see colourful corals of different colours waving and swaying besides me. I touched the corals and plucked a few leaves. A little further, hiding behind the corals, I saw an eel. And then the guide pointed his finger towards a fish with black and white strips [Zebra fish] and then several fishes with pointed snouts [Needle fish]. The zebra fish was swimming right infront of my nose, as if saying – “Welcome to our beautiful world!”

And what a beautiful world it was! If I had surrendered to my fears, I would never have had this wonderful experience. When I was back on the boat, I had not only understood, but had actually experienced what it means when they say – “Dar ke aage jeet hai”. 

(17th November 2012, Malvan. For pictures of my Malvan Trip, click here)

4 comments:

  1. Too good experience you had....its really beautiful and different below the sea..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventures are part of our lives thus making the world so beautiful. You experienced the art of Snorkeling and it appears to be really great. Great going buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey cool. Really nicely put down in words .Specially The zebra fish was swimming right infront of my nose, as if saying – “Welcome to our beautiful world!”................

    ReplyDelete