Sunday, August 31, 2014

I'm an Awakened Goan Common Man


The other day I had to attend a function at the MCC hall near the Margao Railway station. I decided to ride to the venue on my Honda Activa. I took the route via Arlem going through the Power House (Electricity Dept). As I was passing from Arlem, I had to ride my way dodging through the potholes, and some of them really dangerous. As I was trying to avoid one huge pothole, I almost reached the other side of the lane and blocked the way of a truck coming along the opposite direction. The honking sound brought me back to my senses. What was I thinking?

Well, as I was riding my way, I remembered our PWD minister, because the roads come under the purview of this department. Then I remembered that he was lately in the news! Yes, he was in the news for making a comment on tourists wearing bikinis on Goan beaches- and he was concerned that it was not our culture. He was also in the news for making another statement that under our new PM Modi’s leadership, India was on it’s way to be declared as a Hindu Rashtra. I never heard or read anywhere about Modi intending to do this or quoted of having said this. May be PM Modi is a close friend of our PWD minister, and must have confided his plans to him. As our PWD minister, I thought he should have been in the news for something related to Public Works. Something like these roads, potholes, water supply and the likes. Bikinis and Hindu Rashtra was no way related to public works. When the questions raised during assembly sessions were also regarding this- it opened my eyes! I was now beginning to reason and justify the state of these roads in Margao. These issues (which the minister is raising) were more important and worth discussing. The honourable minister was pre-occupied with such priority issues. The repair of roads is certainly on his list somewhere… I hope. And that was when this truck honked and woke me up, as if trying to tell me- pay attention on your job at hands. For me at present it was riding my scooter.

That same weekend, I went to buy some pastries in a Monginis outlet in Pajifond. This time, I was in my car, and as I arrived, I saw that there was no parking space available near the shop. I went further in search of a parking space. I had to turn and go ahead… and ahead… till I got a parking place in some corner. Whew! That was a relief- but only for a short while. I realized that I was about a kilometre away from the Monginis outlet, and I had to walk all the way! I would have taken it positively, if I had those extra calories and fats to be burnt. But was also not to be! As I was enjoying my walk, I remembered the multi-story pay parking that was promised a couple of years ago. But then, the government is not to be blamed here too… They have been kept busy with some other priority issues. The chief minister is presently busy discussing Tiatre scripts and it’s controversies- whether it hurts sentiments of people and busy giving advices to the Tiatre producer to change the SIM card if he gets threatening calls. I have decided not to complain about my Monginis parking problem- else I would well be advised to go to some other pastry shop, or may be change my mode of transport, or may be just drop the idea of buying pastries in Monginis at Pajifond??

Even though the Government had promised a lot for Margao city- A new state-of-the-art bus stand, multi-story pay parking lot, cleaning of the Hospicio Hospital among others, the Government or the MLA is not to be blamed for not being able to achieve it in their promised timeline. Because, they have been dealing with issues which matter to the Ministers and the people more- whether bikinis is part of our culture, whether India can be declared a Hindu state or whether some fanatic leader should be allowed to come to Goa and should be declared a terrorist. So what if somebody in Margao has a dangerous bumpy ride on a scooter or has parking woes in the city? It happens to all! And we are happy to live with it.

And during those rare outcomes when Government announces some development projects, I will oppose it and see to it that it doesn't happen. With development comes change, and like any Goan common man, I don't like to see my Goa change... It should be as it is- peaceful, beautiful, like the paradise on Earth. 

And if you think I am being sarcastic, then you are mistaken. I am only learning to think like our Governments and MLAs and most of the commonly found Goan common men. Yes! I am now an awakened Goan common man..!

No comments:

Post a Comment